Sunday, January 23, 2011

Technology for Students with Exceptionalities (Tech Task #2)

For this tech task I chose to focus on the question:
"How can technology be used to assist students who have special needs? Is there anything that technology can add that can’t be done without using technology?"

I have had some experience working with students with exceptionalities and learning what kinds of technology these students can use to help them succeed in school. There are many pros and some cons for working using technology with students with exceptionalities.
Pros
Cons
3. helps teachers with differentiated instruction
4. assists with communication
5. helps student learn to make choices and become self-sufficient in some areas
6. give independence
1. can be costly
2. the skills learned through the technology may not be an asset with future jobs
3. it may be difficult to assess the difference the technology is making
4. for students who may one day be able to do the task without the aid of technology- they may start to rely on the technology to do the task for them


 
During my internship I notice technology being used effectively for many students with exceptionalities, more than just through the use of a computer:

-computers were used to help students with learning disabilities decipher words or to create sentences
-computers were learned to help students who had trouble with hearing or reading listen to stories and play games to build their skill set
-computers were used for those students who had trouble organizing their work, or need a legible way to produce their work
-students who were struggling were given the opportunity to use the computer to play games that would build their skill set
-students with behaviour challenges were able to use the computer as a way to refocus and to possibly calm down
-Tumble books gives students an opportunity to listen to a book without an adult reading it to them, and to them with visualization as the pictures move and create the story for them. It also is a great way to incorporate learning language.
-a GoTalk was used for students to help them communicate
-switches were used to help students who were non-communicative and had trouble with motor coordination make decisions
-a microphone system was used in every classroom to help those with non-verbal learning disabilities or were hearing impaired
-SMART boards and overhead projectors were used to help kids focus and see concepts that they were learning about, so they didn't have to try to visualize the information (ex. videos)
These are some of the ways that I have seen technology at work to help those students with exceptionalities. There are many more ways available to incorporate technology. Online references can give many resources available, and new games to play to help those students with exceptionalities learn and grow.

In my opinion, technology is important in the classroom. Since it is becoming more available and easy to use teachers should take the time to use it. If using technology will help a student with exceptionalities learn and develop their skills for a future job, why not? I believe that it is our job to do everything and use to resources available to us to help every student in our classroom. For some of our students the use of technology may be one of the only ways that they will ever learn or be able to communicate with those around them. Why would you want to take those opportunities away from them just because you don't want to use technology in your classroom?

I Google searched this question and I didn't find anyone whose opinion was different than mine, but it doesn't mean that those people aren't out their. However, I believe that to be the best teacher that I can, I need to find a way to help all of my students learn with the resources that are available for me to use.

While I was looking for a picture to use in this assignment, I came across many that had children with exceptionalities smiling and excited. They were surrounded by technology, but I believe that it was increasing their enthusiasm for life and for learning. Would you want to be the teacher who didn't help students learn and become the best and brightest person that they could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment