I met with my boy that I am tutoring again yesterday. It was another interesting day. As soon as I sat down he asked me for the tape recorder and kept playing with it again all day. This is making me think that incorporating technology into his program would be beneficial to him. As I was thinking this he asked to play games on the computer for his break, so I allowed him. Next thing I knew, the game on the board was a bartender mixing drinks. I had to ask him repeatedly to stop before he did.
From this experience I am learning that many children are learning about computers and other sources of technology, but aren't using them in a beneficial way. Video games consoles are great, but not if that is the only type of entertainment the chidlren are getting. Also, playing a bartending game at school, I think is inacceptable, but he didn't understand why. If we are going to be having our students play games online, we need to teach them how to find educational and age appropriate games. We also need to teach them that they need to listen, and if we ask them to close the game they need to do so, especially if we explain our reasoning. Technology is great, but when all it is used for is addicting gaming, it is not beneficial at all!
No comments:
Post a Comment