Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Focus on the 90%

I went to a bridal show in October and received this wonderful book in my package. The organizer of the show was Darci Lang and her husband, she is a motivational speaker and she gave everyone a free copy of her book "Focus on the 90%". I have just started to read it, but I think that this message is very inspirational and I am trying my best to change my focus.

She mentions in her book taht many people focus on the 10% that is negative in their lives, jobs, spouses, and selves. However, if we switch that magnifying glass to focus on the 90% that is positive about those things, we can lead a much happier life.

I am trying to change my view from the 10% to the 90%, but at this point I am finding it hard. She said that if you can't focus on the 90% and you don't like what you are doing then you need to change something. My issue is that I do not like being in class all that much and can always find something to complain about, but I can't change that right now or I won't be able to do what I really want, teach!

Even though I am having a hard time switching my focus in some parts of my life, I am finding success switching my focus in other parts, and even finding some success and limiting that amount of negative things I focus on in the things that I don't like. I am finding that I am happier and a lot calmer about life. I try not to worry about things that I cannot control, but will try to find a way to find the positives in things that I can.

As I was reading this book I thought that it would be an excellent book for all teachers to read. Focusing on the 90% that our students can do rather than focusing on the 10% that they can't will make for a much happier and productive classroom. When looking at that leson plan that went wrong, look at what went right. Look at the students' strengths and play off those to build on their weaknesses. Go in each day looking at the positive because it seems that the better mood that the teacher is in in the morning, the better behaved the classroom is (maybe that is because you are in such a good mood small issues don't affect you as much). Finally, if you cannot find the positive in your job anymore, or remember why you went into teaching, stop. Complaining about your job, your co-workers, and your students is not helping anyone, but getting more and more people feel down in the dumps.

I wish that I had read this book before internship, I think that it would have changed my experience a lot. When I looked at a lesson after I had done it, I always focused on that 10%; I would even focus on the 10% of my day. If I had jsut focused on that 90% I think I would have: seen all the well-behaved kids in my class, not only the ones that were determined to drive me up the wall that day. been able to find different strategies to work with varies students because I would have been focusing on what they can do, been able to enjoy the lessons that went really well and the learning that did take place over the lessons that the students had trouble with. In our profession it is good to reflect on what went wrong so you can change it, but only focusing on it so you can determin how to make it better not so it will make you feel like a horrible teacher.

Throughout my schooling I have heard many teachers complaining about their profession and asking me if I was sure this is what I wanted to do with my life. I was sure! When I had those days when I focused on the 90% I couldn't dream of being anywhere else. I hear these teachers complaining about their students and saying how they can't wait until June (it was the beginning of the school year). They would look as if they were jsut miserable with their lives. I don't think this can result in any positive outcome for anyone. If you are so miserable, the students will pick up on that and either work to make you more miserable or conclude that school really does suck and they don't want to be there. It is our job to make students see that education can be a wonderful opportunity and can open many doors. If we have that positive attitude and focus on the 90% everyone will enjoy their day and might actually end up learning more, the staff room will be a buzz with laughter and inspirational stories not the complaints and miserable comments most are full of now, and we will have some energy and happiness left over for those who are waiting for us at home, who need our love and support just as much as our students do.

Everyone has their bad days and it is hard not to stew and think about everything that went wrong. However, focusing on that 90% may make the bad days happen less, and laying everything out to ensure that you can focus on the 90% by fixing some problems may be the solution that you need!

This book is starting to make a change in my life and I think it can make a difference in the lives of others. I encourage everyone to read Darci Lang's Focus on the 90% and to share their inspriational stories so that everyone can benefit and reaffirm why we are in the field that we are (because sometimes teachers just need that gentle reminder on a bad day)!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome write up Daniella. I too have struggled being in class again this semester. Up until about a week and a half ago when I realized I couldn't continue on the way I was, I was pretty miserable from focusing on the 10%. I think the big thing for me is to just step back and realize, I can do this, I have all these things going for me. I know that every single one of us in our final year of Education can do that same thing right now. We all have a lot to be thankful for and we will all make great teachers.
    I love the sounds of this book and I liked how you connected it to teaching. Teaching is a profession full of rewards and why would we want to put all our focus on the small things that are challenging us and making our lives a bit difficult, when we have 20+ students looking up to us for guidance and support. We are their role models and they need role models who love life and are going to motivate them to want to learn. Plus, every challenge in that 10% is an opportunity for us to grow professionally and personally.
    When I have time in a month and a half, I will definitely take a look at this book Danielle, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also read this book. What a great way of looking at life. It definetly can change your outlook on all areas...work, relationships, school, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daniella,

    Thanks for posting this! Aside from all of the somewhat negative perceptions we have in our lives regarding classes, our work, etc; I find that it is also easy to get bogged down by our society in general. There is so much "bad" going on in our world today that it is easy to get overwhelmed. The idea of focusing on the 90% is a very positive one and I do believe that it could really make a difference.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete