Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Incorporating Queer Issues into the Classroom

I am taking EFDN 306- Sexual Identities and am finding that it is changing how I look at things. I have never thought about many of the issues that queer people go through on a daily basis. This class is even changing how I watch tv, because not only am I looking at how underrepresented people of different races are, but now I am starting to focus on how underrepresented queer people are (having these critical lenses really ruins a quiet, comfy night at home watching mindless tv).
For this class we needed to come up with a lesson plan that incorporated queer content. I created this lesson that I am quite proud of because I created it for a grade 3 classroom and within the grade 3 curriculum there is only one mention of queer issues. I think that it is important for all students to have access to learning about queer people. We teach our students how to work with students with exceptionalities, we teach them how to get along with those of another race and confront their biases, why don't we teach them about the issues queer people face. I believe that if it is not in the curriculum many teachers may overlook teaching about these issues and as I was looking through the grade 3 curriculum I couldn't help but think of all of the grade 3 students that are not learning about these issues because it is not in the curriculum. I have posted my lesson plan and I hope that you look at it, and that you teach your students about queer issues and incorporate queer content into your classroom.


What is your opinion on teaching about queer issues in the classroom? What are some questions or concerns that you have? Let's create a professional discussion and maybe help others who are nervous about this content.

2 comments:

  1. This was so inspiring. I read your lesson plan and was impressed on how well you put this issue into motion with a grade 3 class. So proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words! I believe that it is important to talk about queer issues at every age, even if it means finding a place to squish it into the curriculum!

    ReplyDelete