Monday, March 14, 2011

Goals

After finishing the book Focus on the 90% (the book that I talked about in a previous post) I created some goals for myself. The book talked about how in your jobs there are always going to be that 10% that you cannot please, as well as some of those 10% people that you work with. It made me question myself about whether I was one of those 10% people. I thought about it for a bit and realized that I was not enjoying myself as much as I could have been. I decided to make a change. The next that I went into work, I did not focus on how tired I was or what else I had to do at home, I focused on what I was doing. I didn't complain about the dirty jobs that I had to do that day, but did them quickly and with a smile on my face realizing that I was helping others out. I interacted with the visitors, made some children happy and excited. I had a wonderful day and my shift flew by.

The next day that I went into work I wasn't feeling well, even my co-workers said I should not have come into work that day. Even though I wasn't feeling well, I put that out of my mind when I was interacting with the visitors and I think that I made many visitors happy. I was enthusiastic and had a smile on my face. Once I changed my mind set that I was going to have fun at work and not worry about the things that I couldn't control, I enjoyed my time much more. There are those people that I work with that do focus on the 10%, but I have to try my best to not join with them and instead focus on what I do enjoy about work.

No comments:

Post a Comment